Musings on music, sports, life in general from Quincy, Illinois.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Paul Tibbets

Paul Tibbets died the other day. He was the pilot of the Enola Gay and was born in Quincy, though he moved at an early age.

I interviewed him seven years ago, which I think was the last time he was in Quincy. He was 85 and in relatively good health, and he was still sharp as a tack.

The thing I remember about him was how he simply didn't let what he did envelope or consume him. He let others define his actions. To him, it was simply a job, and he was more concerned about veterans and his country than his role in one of the most defining moments in world history.

It was an honor to interview him.

1 comment:

TOOKIE said...

Funny story from last night !

I am still in recover mode and just beat up tired ! I confused a FUNION with his brother .......



I felt like a jackass then said to myself "F*** it" ........




I will say Kristopher's opening Downtown was hopping !


Ben Bumbry was jamming ......




But still under the weather I had 2 beers ........9 h2o's and a nice nap on a leather couch !