Musings on music, sports, life in general from Quincy, Illinois.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Different Service

We had another U2-charist practice last Sunday and it went well. Special thanks to Megan, who filled in on drums. Craig will be back Friday night for practice, and the service is Sunday at 7.

We've had some spirited and healthy discussions about U2's lyrics. We are doing "When Love Comes To Town," and this is not necessarily a praise and worship song.

Good. This is not a Maranatha sappy worship service. The them is "What if ..." and I'm looking forward to Bob Morwell expounding on the topic.

I am trusting Wally Carlson and Bob to make this worship-driven. But I do not apologize for the lyrics of these songs.

"When Love Comes To Town" is about a man who has made huge mistakes in his life and realizes why.

I used to make love under a red sunset
I was making promises I would soon forget
She was pale as the lace of her wedding gown
But I left her standing before love came to town

That's powerful stuff.

The last verse:

I was there when they crucified my Lord
I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword
I threw the dice when they pierced his side
But I've seen love conquer the great divide

I am so tired of people whining about being uncomfortable at church. God doesn't care if you build a mansion with marble columns and velvet pews. He doesn't care if the sound system isn't state of the art, or if the service lasts 85 minutes.

I believe God wants you to think. Even if you are like me, and Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

So ... come to this service with an open mind. We have some great songs, whether that translates into a great sound and performance, I don't know. And in the end, it's irrelevant.

1 comment:

SheyFey said...

Had a great time at the practice last night. Can't wait for the real deal on Sunday nite.... Missed Jack though.